How to calibrate a front projector? Front projectors are physically limited in some disciplines, like color gamut and contrast. To get neutral grays and best possible details in shadows and highlights, you need to profile your front projector as good as you did with your monitor. But there is something special calibrating a front projector.
See the fastest, most accurate, easiest-to-use monitor calibration tool ever created by Datacolor >
General points about calibrating a projector
- Perform the front projector calibration in an entirely dark room.
Keep in mind that black on your projector’s screen is only as dark as the walls beside or around your screen.
- A tripod to mount the SpyderXELITE is required.
The SpyderX sensor has a tripod mount included in its housing. It is the same size your camera has on its bottom, so any camera tripod will work.
Projector Screen Calibration
- Launch the SpyderX ELITE and select “Projector” via the “Display Type” menu.
- In the Calibration Settings window select Gamma 2.2, native White Point (Do Not Adjust – Recommended) and for the Brightness also “Do Not Adjust – Recommended”.
Alternatively you can also select a White Point of 6500 Kelvin, but be aware that this will reduce your front projector’s brightness, because one or two color channels will be clipped after the white point correction.
- In the “Advanced Settings” select the Gray Balance Calibration “Off – Recommended”, which is required for front projectors that uses the DLP technology. On front projectors that using a different technology you can also select the option “Faster”.
- Mount your SpyderX ELITE at your tripod and place the sensor at a distance of 30 cm / 12 inches in front of the screen. The sensor’s lens has to face towards the screen. The SpyderX ELITE software compensates the shadow the SpyderX ELITE create now on the screen.
- The SpyderX Elite sensor measures a very focused spot. Aim the sensor slightly to the left or right so the sensor does not measure the shadow it creates on the screen
- Keep your room pitch dark during the projector calibration process to get the best results.
FAQ About Projector Calibrations
Should I calibrate a projector in a dark room?
You should have your room as dark as possible during the projector calibration process.
Does your projector seem to be working properly without light showing?
Take the lamp out of the projector to make sure it hasn’t blown and ensure that it isn’t cracked or has a dark appearance.
Do I need a tripod to mount the SpyderX for calibration?
A tripod to mount the SpyderXELITE is required but not provided with the hardware. Not to worry though! The SpyderX sensor has a tripod mount included in its housing. The mount is the same size your camera has on its bottom, so any camera tripod will work conveniently for you. Just place the SpyderX on the tripod and follow the directions indicated above to calibrate your front projector.
Datacolor offers a product that will calibrate your projector for you in the SpyderX
With SpyderX, you can be sure that what you see on screen is the most accurate representation of the image. When you start editing and you know the color on your projector is accurate, you can confidently control every aspect of your image. Your output will match what you are seeing on screen and better reflect your creative vision.
Here are some SpyderX testimonials from customers after calibration with our projector calibration product
“Datacolor I salute you, the SpyderX Pro is the new benchmark and an absolute game changer.” -Daniel Wretham, Landscape Photographer
“It’s dead accurate and it’s quick. I think that SpyderX comes as close to getting it right as you can. I was impressed – so simple, so easy, so reliable.” -Robert Smith
“I want something straightforward – I want to plug it in and know it’s been calibrated, so I can expect great results.” -Glenn Kujansuu
Who is Datacolor?
Datacolor has an American heart, a Swiss soul and an international vision. Based in Lawrenceville, New Jersey (USA), our company is listed on the Swiss stock exchange with facilities and representatives in over 100 countries. Our color management solutions are created and supported by passionate employees and certified to multiple industry standards.
Our mission is to empower our customers to make objective, cost-effective and smart color decisions that perfectly suit individual workflows. Over a million customers working in Textile & Apparel, Paint & Coatings, Plastics, Photography, Design and many other industries trust Datacolor solutions:
- Over 1 million photographers and creative specialists use Datacolor SpyderX products.
- Over 80 of the top 100 Textile and Apparel brands selected Datacolor solutions.
- More than 10,000 business customers rely on Datacolor instruments and software daily.